Not may people know this, but Ramadan is the equivalent of Lent to Christians. It's a month of spirituality, detoxification and family time.
If Ramadan could be summed up in 3 words, it would be WTF: Where’s The Food! Seriously, with fasting, one doesn't need stash to get high & have the munchies. Consider yourself lucky, if you are able to get 2 hours of focus at work. (Oh and if you’re the roller of your group, you’re more than welcome to roll sambousas in my kitchen)
We fast from dawn until dusk. Around sunrise, panic strikes as we throw water bottles to each other counting down the last remaining seconds before everyone withdraws of food and liquids for the day (dramatically exaggerated). At breakfast time, we’d take turns leading prayers, and at one point I forgot the verses half way through *bursts into flames*.
So without further ado, here are some millennial traditions for the holy month!
- Live tweeting during prime time family TV shows; it is the only season when actors get to play different characters on a million channels (sometimes within one show 0_o)
- Vimto Staches on the last day before Eid
- Greeting Wars: Spam as much as you can to proclaim your title whether it is being the first, quirkiest, most original or funniest...
- Countdown Panic: As illustrated above
- Caffeine Placebo: It’s a Saadoun hack to smell coffee beans for a burst of energy
- Tribal size (not family size): all item packs at supermarkets become larger than life
So I’ll conclude this Ramadan summary with the song "Sambousa" by Daffy. Now shake your tail feathers!